Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- italian sausage, hot, mild, sweet your choice to taste
- green, red, yellow bell pepper
- optional jalapeno
- garlic to taste, if want to roast it first. oh heavens!!
- oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, bay leafs, all the italian spices to your taste.
- 1 can(s)
- black olives
- 1 large
- can cut mushrooms
- large onion, or to taste if you like none or less go that way
- 1 medium
- zuccini (optional)
- 1/2 box
- angel hair pasta, use whole grain if diabetic and use only 1/4 box
- 2 large
- cans of tomato sauce. i get the ones that already have italian herbs in them with garlic if i can
- 2 small
- cans of diced tomatoes with fire roasted garlic. oh so yummy
- 3 Tbsp
- sugar (optionals)
- 2 Tbsp
- molasses (optional)
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 c
- 1 pkg
- mozzarella cheese, low-fat
1In a large skillet. Cook sausage thouroughly. Nice and brown not dry. I use a large skillet with a lid and cook it that way. It stays nice and juicy.
2Once all sausage is browned and cooked through. Take it out set it aside to get cold. Put garlic, onions, peppers, jalapeno, mushrooms, zuccini in skillet and brown in the juices from cooking the sausage. Pour into stock pot with your tomato sauce you will make while sausage is browning.
3Once you put the sausage in to brown. Cut up what ever needs cutting up. Start your sauce, by opening up the cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and pouring into large stock pot. Add all the herbs and spices to your taste. I don't put salt and pepper in but you can. You should put in something sweet to cut the acid in the tomato. I have used molasses to get away from granulated sugar. I don't like artificial sweeteners for this they make it taste wrong. Add all your Italian herbs and spices to taste. Low heat. Slow cook.
4Cut up the sausage and put into the sauce. Slow cook with occasional stirring for several hours. I often make the sauce and do the baking the next day. This is one of those meals that tastes good good on the second day.
5In a baking dish break the pasta up into little pieces and sprinkle with olive oil. Add about 1/2 cup water.DO NOT pre-boil the pasta. DO NOT add to much water your baked spaghetti will be baked spaghetti soup. Do not put this together until sauce is done cooking. Pour sauce over this pasta, water, olive oil. Stir the mixture up so pasta is all through the sauce. Bake on 275 until pasta is edible. Put on mozzarella if you wish and tuck right in. So good. This is one of my families favorite dishes.