Baked Pasta with Sausage and Peppers
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 1/2 lbs. mild italian sausae, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes in puree, 28 oz.
- 1 can tomato puree, 15 oz
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated romano cheese
1Preheat oven to 400.
2In nonstick pan, cook sausage over medium high heat til browned, stirring occasionally. Drain fat, then reduce heat to medium.
3Add onion, peppers and garlic, cook for about 10 minutes or til vegetables are tender. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato puree and 1/4 tsp. salt. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
4Meanwhile, bring pot of water to a boil with dash of salt. Add pasta and cook til almost done. Drain pasta, return to pot and stir in the sauce and mozzarella.
5Note: Mom used to doctor her sauce with oregano, basil, and a splash of wine.