Tomato Sauce with Double Basil
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 lb. ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped or 1 can plum tomatoes, 14.5 oz
- pinch sugar
- 12 oz. dried pasta, such as spaghetti or linguine
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
1Heat oil in pan and add garlic, shallot and half the basil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes til shallot is golden.
2Add tomatoes and cook stirring for 10 minutes til thickened and pulpy. add sugar, 1/3 cu water and salt and pepper to taste
3Bring to a boil, cover and simmer very gently for 1 hour til dark red and thickened, with droplets of oil on the surface.
4Bring large pan of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, about 8 minutes.
5Drain and return pasta to hot pan. Tear remaining basil into tomato sauce and add sauce to pasta. Toss well, then serve topped with Parmesan cheese.