Rice Noodles with Shrimp and Cilantro
I added a little asian chili paste to the sauce because we like the extra heat.....
- 6 oz
- 1/4-inch-wide dried rice noodles (pad thai)
- 2 medium
- limes,1 juiced and 1 cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp
- soy sauce
- 1 tsp
- fish sauce
- 3/4 lb
- peeled and deveined large shrimp (31 to 40 per lb.)
- 3 Tbsp
- canola or peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp
- ground coriander
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium
- red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 medium
- jalapeño, seeded and finely diced...if you want some heat use a large pepper or a serrano pepper
- 1 large
- shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 c
- chopped fresh cilantro
In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, sugar, soy sauce, and fish sauce; set aside.
In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with 1 Tbs. of the oil, the coriander, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
Heat the remaining 2 Tbs. oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Add the red pepper, jalapeño, and shallot, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until it turns pink and is almost cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the lime juice mixture and cook, stirring, until the shrimp is cooked through, about 1 minute more. Add the noodles and half of the cilantro; toss until the noodles heat through and pick up the sauce, 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with the remaining cilantro, with the lime wedges on the side for squeezing.