Nonna Maria's Pasta Al Forno (Pasta in the Oven)
Annamaria Settanni McDonald
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- ziti, penne or rigatoni pasta
- 2 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- medium onion, finely chopped
- 26 oz
- mids meat sauce or your favorite sauce or homemade
- 1 lb
- ground cooked beef mixed in to sauce. (optional)
- 15 oz
- ricotta cheese
- 7 slice
- deli ham, chopped
- hard boiled eggs, chopped in chunks not finely
- 1 c
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c
- grated romano and parmesan cheese mixed
- 2 c
- shredded mozzarella
1Cook pasta noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2Place olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Brown beef. Add pasta sauce, reduce heat to low and stir in noodles.
3Place ricotta, mozzarella, ham, parmesan, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
4Place ½ pasta into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spoon ricotta mixture evenly over pasta, covering entire dish. Sprinkle chopped eggs patting them down. Pour remaining pasta over cheese, then sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
5Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.