Mustcohola- 1930's Supper Casserole
As to the origin of the recipe... its hard to say. This dish was very popular in the 1930-1950's in the midwest and appears in many church cookbooks of that time.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 slice
- bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 2 Tbsp
- bacon drippings (if you do not have 2 tablespoons drippings add vegetable oil to make the total)
- 2 large
- onions, chopped
- green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 oz
- sliced mushrooms, canned
- 3/4 lb
- ground beef
- 1/4 lb
- ground pork (or use all beef)
- 2 tsp
- chili powder
- 3/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- black pepper
- 2 c
- canned tomatoes (chopped or crushed)
- 8 oz
- elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1/2 -1 c
- shredded cheddar cheese, optional
Add meat and continue to cook, stirring all the while, until no pink remains and meat is broken up into small pieces. blend in chili powder, salt, and black pepper.
Add tomatoes and simmer, uncovered for 40-45 minutes. mixture should begin to thicken a bit.
Preheat oven and butter a 2 1/2 quart casserole.
*If using cheese sprinkle on top and return casserole with cheese to oven. Bake another 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
*If not using cheese just bake another 15 minutes.