Red Beans & Rice
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- smoked sausage - sliced (i use beef/turkey/pork smokies, cut in half)
- 4 can(s)
- light red kidney beans (bush brand preferred)
- celery stalks, large - fine chopped
- texas sweet onion, large - fine chopped
- garlic cloves, finely minced
- bay leaves, small
- 1 tsp
- rosemary, fresh - finely minced
- 1/8 c
- liquid smoke flavoring - hickory
- 1 can(s)
- green chilies (4 oz)
- 1 tsp
- ground cumin, be generous - to taste
- black pepper, ground - to taste
- salt - to taste
1Using a bit of olive oil, sauté the onion and celery until translucent… add garlic and sauté a minute or two longer… Drain the beans, reserving the liquid.
2Place the sauted onion, celery, garlic, beans (drained), bay leaves, rosemary, and liquid smoke into the crock pot. Stir thoroughly, and cover.
3Cook on high for 30 minutes to get everything really hot. Turn to low. Add about 1/4 cup of the reserved bean liquid.
4Add the sliced sausage, and the cumin.
5Cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring thoroughly every hour or so.. Squish a few of the beans agains the side of the pot to help give the mixture the creamy consistency. Add more of the bean liquid as desired to achieve desired consistency.
6At the 5 hour mark, add the green chilies... stir thoroughly.
7At the 7 hour mark, taste for pepper, salt, and cumin. Add to taste. Keep on low or warm until ready to serve. Serve with hot steamed rice, cornbread, and a tossed green salad!
8Is good the next day... Can be reheated in the crock or in the microwave!