Crawfish stuffed Merlitons/Chayote/Christphene/Veg
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 large merlitons or zucchini or yellow squash
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 c chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. creole or cajun seasoning
- 1 c chopped ham or breakfast sausage like jimmy dean
- 1 c chopped crawfish or shrimp,
- 1 c breadcrumbs or a 5-inch hunk of stale french bread soaked in water and squeezed dry
- 3/4 c grated cheddar cheese
Drain cut side down on paper towels.
Carefully scoop the flesh out of the squash, leaving the shell intact! Mash it up. Add to the onion mixture. Stir and add seasoning, ham or sausage and seafood of choice.Cook over medium heat, stirring often for about 15 minutes. Add bread crumbs, stir well.Remove from heat.
NOTE: I have also used fresh breadcrumbs tossed with melted butter for a topping instead or with the cheese. :-)
These freeze well and need to thaw before baking.