Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3 slice
- bacon, cut into 1 inch-pieces
- 1/2 c
- chopped celery
- green bell pepper, chopped; also add one small to medium chopped onion or 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 lb
- cooked ham, diced (1 1/2 cups): (optional)
- 1/2 lb
- cooked kielbasa, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 1- 28 oz can(s)
- diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can(s)
- (10 1/2- 14 oz.) of 'low sodium' beef or chicken broth: homemade gives best flavor
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- chopped fresh thyme or dried
- 1 tsp
- dried cajun seasoning or to taste (optional)
- 1-1/4 c
- uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 13x9-inch (3 quart) glass baking dish with non stick cooking spray. In 3-quart saucepan, cook bacon over med-high heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp. Remove bacon from saucepan; drain on paper towel.
2To drippings in saucepan, add celery, bell pepper and onions; cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Add ham (optional), kielbasa, tomatoes, broth, water, thyme and Cajun seasoning (optional); mix well. Heat to boiling. Stir in rice and cooked bacon. Pour mixture into baking dish. Cover with foil.
3Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir before serving.
Makes 6 servings (1 1/2 cups each)
To give this recipe that New Orleans flare, add 8 ounces of cooked shrimp.
(1) serving: Calories 370 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 5g, Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 1560mg (on average) if not using low sodium broth). Total Carbohydrate 42g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 5g), Protein 19g.