New York Fire Station Pasta e Fagioli
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 c
- olive oil
- onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 can(s)
- cannellini beans (19-oz ea.)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- dried oregano, basil, and parsley, to taste
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 8 c
- canned chicken broth
- head cabbage
- head escarole, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 can(s)
- red kidney beans, undrained (i use pinto beans instead)
- 1 can(s)
- chickpeas, undrained
- 1 lb
- elbow macaroni or small shell pasta (i use less & only use the amount i want in smaller portion sizes that were frozen)
- grated parmesan cheese
1In a large pot, brown the garlic in the olive oil. When the garlic is browned, add the onions, 1 can of the cannellini beans, salt and pepper, oregano, basil, arsle, and a little hot sauce. Saute over low-medium heat approximately 10 minutes.
2In separate pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Have the cabbage & escarole cut up into bite-sized pieces and put them in the pot with the onions and beans.
3Immediately pour in the boiling chicken broth. Cover until the cabbage and escarole shrink down into the liquid. Simmer on low-medium heat for approximately 45 minutes.
4Add the remaining beans with their liquid, and cook approximately another 30 minutes.
5Cook the pasta & add to the pot with the beans & vegetables. Serve with grated cheese and hot sauce, if desired.