Layered Pasta Pie
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 lb
- vermicelli or spaghetti, broken into 3rds, cooked and drained.
- 1/3 c
- onion, finely chopped
- 4 clove
- garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 c
- grated, fresh romano cheese, divided
- (15-16 oz) container ricotta cheese
- 1 pkg
- (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 jar(s)
- (24-26 oz) pasta sauce, your favorite (you could even use pizza sauce)
1While pasta is cooking, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
2Drain pasta and place in a small mixing bowl. Add onion and garlic mixture and mix well. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
3Thaw spinach and drain well. (place in a strainer and press liquid out using a spoon)
4When pasta mixture is warm, not hot, add 1 slightly beaten egg, and 1/2 cup grated romano. Mix well.
5Press pasta mixture into a 9", well greased, spring form pan.
6Separate the yolks of 2 eggs from the whites. Reserve the egg whites. Combine the 2 egg yolks, ricotta cheese, spinach, salt and pepper and rest of the romano cheese.
7Spread the ricotta mixture over the pasta layer.
8In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites just until stiff, not dry.
9Fold egg whites into 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce. Spoon over spinach layer.