- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 lb
- grass-fed stew meat, either lamb or beef
- 1 lb
- pearl onions, peeled and kept whole (we used 1/2 pound golden pearl onions)
- 3-4 clove
- garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 c
- beef or lamb stock or broth, more if needed
- 3-4 Tbsp
- red wine
- whole cinnamon stick
- fresh bay leaves
- whole cloves (placed in a tea infuser or small square piece of muslin cloth)
- 1 tsp
- greek oregano (aka mediterranean oregano)
- 14 oz
- fire-roasted crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- black pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. When the pot is hot, add half of the stew meat. Brown the meat then transfer to a plate. Add the remaining olive oil and brown the rest of the meat. Transfer the second batch to the plate.
Serve over orzo/pasta, mashed potatoes, rice, quinoa or similar. For a complete meal, serve a crisp green salad on the side.
We served our stew with a spinach salad that included carrots, bell pepper, cucumber and a scattering of feta. Imported Greek olives on the side.
Pass the salt and pepper shakers.