Sausage & Peppers
The picture is from the internet.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 italian sausages,i like hot,but use sweet or combination
- 2 t olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper,sliced in strips
- 2 red bell peppers,sliced in strips
- 4 garlic cloves,sliced in slivers
- 1 large onion,sliced
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 c red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- polenta or buns
Increase the heat to high and add the onions and peppers. Toss so they get coated with the oil in the pan stirring every so often. You want some blackening. Once the onions and peppers soften, sprinkle some salt on them. Once you get some searing on the onions and peppers, add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Add the red wine or broth,scrape the bottom of the pan to release all the browned and blackened bits. Let the wine cook down by half.
Add the tomatoes, oregano and red pepper flakes (if using) and stir well to combine. Add the sausages back in. Bring to a simmer then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the peppers are soft the sausages are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Serve over soft polenta,in a bun or over pasta.