Red Beans, Tomatoes and Rice
This recipe is one from the pantry. Tonight, I started out with an incomplete thought of red beans and rice and came up with a new family favorite meal.
Oh, a note about Hog Jowl bacon. I had never used it before a week ago when my boyfriend found it on sale and thought to himself "Em'll figure out something to do with this." :-)
I think it has a fuller flavor than regular bacon. I think it worked well in the heartier recipe. I'd use it again.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 lb
- hog jowl bacon, sliced or in small chunks (or 6+ thick sliced regular bacon)
- 1 medium
- onion, coarsely chiopped
- 1/2-1 c
- bell pepper, coarsely chopped. i used mixed color.
- 1 small
- handful pickled peppers, optional, amount and heat to your taste
- 1 Tbsp
- more or less "not too hot cajun seasoning"**
- commercial cajun seasoning, to taste. i used tony chachere's original creole seasoning
- 1--28 oz
- can of large dice tomatoes
- 1--15.5 oz
- can of small red beans
- uncooked rice, how much rice depends on how many people you are feeding. i used 1-11/2 cups for 4 people.
- water, approximately twice the amount of uncooked rice
Cajun Seasoning Mix