Thaksgiving Rice --- Rice and Turkey (Arroz con Pa
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 can(s)
- 1 complete turkey leg cut up into at least 8 pieces; or the turkey pieces of your choice
- 2 c
- long grain white rice
- red bell pepper, mostly chopped, leave a few strips
- onion, mostly chopped, but leave a few strips
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 c
- canned sweet peas, with the liquid
- 1/2 c
- canned tomatoes, mashed
- 4 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- 1 sprig(s)
- fresh cilantro or celery, chopped
- strings of saffron or coloring agent
- 1/2 tsp
- ½ teaspoon of your favorite herb or herbs and/or hot peppers (optional)
- salt and white pepper (about ½ teaspoon of each)
- 4 c
- turkey broth (recovered from boiling the turkey leg)
1Briefly fry and seal the turkey pieces. Inmediately transfer to a covered pan filled with boiling water. Make sure you have at least 6 cups of water in it. Remember to save this broth for the rice after the turkey pieces have fully cooked and softened.
Next, prepare the stir-fry ingredientes in the same pan that your going to use for preparing the dish. This could be a special paella low sided, very wide pan, your turkey pan or just a plain large skillet, preferably non-sticking.
3Place the chopped bell pepper, onion, minced garlic, mashed tomatoes, cilantro or celery in the frying pan and stir-fry until it all starts to limp and brown. Don't overcook. Be careful because the garlic will tend to burn if left too long (should be last ingredient in).
4The rice and turkey:
Once the stir-fry starts to brown, add the turkey pieces. Move them around for about a minute and then add the rice. Mix eveything (raw rice, turkey, and stir-fry). Powder with the herbs, add the turkey broth, the sweet peas, the saffron or coloring agent and the salt.
5Spread everything evenly in the frying pan and boil, then simmer and cook (without touching) for about 18 to 20 minutes, letting the rice dry.
6Once the rice has dried, remove the skillet, and let it rest a couple of minutes; then, cover it with newspaper for a few minutes if you want to keep the flavors (a tip).
7*(Relatively: compared to preparing a complete turkey dinner)
Use 2 1in-diced chicken breasts as a turkey substitute and you have the famouse ARROZ CON POLLO---Rice and Chicken!
In any case --- have a nice Thanksgiving with your family and friends!