One-Pot/Dish Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 lb
- skinless, boneless, chicken pieces plus
- chicken breast, skinned and debonned, diced 1"
- 3 c
- long grain white or yellow rice
- 3 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- 2 qt
- chicken broth
- onion, large, chopped (1/2 chopped & 1/2 in strips)
- red bell pepper, cut into thick julliene strips (use 1 whole medium pepper and save the other half for garnish)
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- envelope cilantro and achiote paella mix or 2 to 3 threads saffron or 1 cube paella mix*
- 1/4 c
- dry sherry or dry white wine
- medium carrot, shredded or small diced
- 1/2 tsp
- powdered oregano, or cumin, or thyme
- 3/4 Tbsp
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 5 oz
- green peas, canned
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- worchestershire sauce
- salt and white pepper, as needed
11. Have all ingredients on hand, near by. In a large 4 quart pan place the oil, the paella mixes, or the saffron or achiote powder (I sometimes combine these). Add the onion and garlic. Stir-fry on medium heat.
22. When the onion starts to soften, add the carrot, and the cilantro. Cook 1 to 2 minutes.
33. Add the diced chicken breasts and pieces. Continue to mix and stir fry 1 to 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with the oregano powder, the Worchestershire sauce, and add rhe ketchup. Keep cooking and mixing, and add the wine.
44. After cooking for 2 minutes, add 2 cups of chicken broth and mix. Now mix in 1 cups of rice and combine. Add the rest of the rice and 4 (UP TO 5) cups of chicken broth. Combine, cover, boil, and simmer pan.
55. As the rice begins to cook, open the can of sweet peas and add to the rice 1/2 of its content and all of the liquid. Add the bell pepper strips, salt and white pepper. Cover pan and cook for 12 minutes or more. Save the rest of the peas to use as garnish along with the left over pepper strips.
66. Now the hardest part --- you must gage the dryness or desired moisture level! If you want the rice dry, cook a little more. If you like it moist, add more chicken broth. In any case, be CAREFUL not to BURN the BOTTOM RICE. Don´t let the rice dry. A little moisture must remain. Open the pan during cooking and, with a cooking spoon, separate the rice until you can see the moisture level. Serve hot.
77. To completely avoid this problem, use a flat 20 to 25-inch paella pan (if you have one). That's why a large pan is used.
1. Use oregano as a condiment or mix.
92. Substitute the carrot with 5 ounces of mixed vegetables, canned or frozen. You can also add olives, chives, green onions, jalapeno or habanero chili peppers or sauces, etc., to your own particular taste.
103. Sausage or chorizo cut into rounds may be added to taste, as well as 1 to 2 ounces of spahgetti cut into 1/4 length. Be careful not to add too much, otherwise the dish's basic taste might be altered and you might have digestion problems.
11*You may omit if yellow rice is used; however, I suggest you use the powder envelope or cube anyway, since they include tasty seasoning mixtures. The yellow tone wil be a bit darker, but the flavor will be enhanced. I sometimes use ½ cube or envelope and combine with ½ of another...