Croque Madame (Ham and Cheese Sammie)
I made this dish for the Oscars and it was marvelous! I love a good ham and cheese and this one is over the top! It takes a little bit more effort but it is completely worth it. Hope you try it and love it as much as we did.
- gruyere cheese
- french bread, cut into slices (sandwichwidth)
- dijon mustard, i also like to use whole grain dijon i really love the texture)
- parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbsp
- butter for sauce, plus some for the eggs
- 2 c
- 3 Tbsp
- salt and pepper
- whole nutmeg grated don't use too much a pinch worth is good. (if you only have ground it will work)
- 8 slice
- black forrest ham (any ham would work, left over baked ham would be fab)
- italian parsley roughly chopped
1To make the bechamel
In a sauce pan on medium heat melt the butter and add the flour. Stir constantly and cook for a few minutes. Add the milk, salt, pepper and grated nutmeg to taske and whisk constantly until it begins to thicken.
2Add 1/2 + cup of gruyere cheese and 1/2 cup of parmesan and stir until smooth and the cheese is melted.Do not walk away from this sauce. Remove from heat.
3Toast 4 slices of the bread til lightly browned, It is going under the broiler so don't make it too dark.
For the sandwiches
Turn on the broiler. On a tinfoil cover cookie sheet, place the toasted bread.
4Spread on the dijon mustard, ham, gruyere and parmesan cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted
5remove the 4 slices top each slice with the other 4 toasted slices of bread. Pour the bechamel sauce over the sandwiches and top with more gruyere cheese.
6In a frying pan melt some butter and cook the eggs sunny side up and make sure the yolk does not over cook. You want it warm and runny golden deliciousness!