Mama's Fried Fish
I have tried to duplicate her method to the best of my memory. I don't do a lot of frying anymore, but this recipe is well worth it.
She would make hushpuppies with the leftover cornmeal, having no waste at all.
- 1 1/2 lb
- ocean perch filets, patted dry
- 1 c
- plain or self-rising cornmeal
- generous amount of black pepper
- 1 tsp
- oil for frying, about 1/2-inch deep
- 1/4 c
- finely minced onion
- enough cornbread mix to make a good thick batter
Mix together the cornmeal, pepper, and salt.
Dredge the fish filets in the cornmeal, making sure they are well coated. Set aside on waxed paper.