Crab Cakes with Scallions and Jalapenos
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, 1 1/2 sticks, plus 1 to 2 tbsp. for sautéing the crab cakes, or more if needed
- 1 cup finely chopped scallions, including some of the firm greens
- 1/2 cup finely chopped jalapeno peppers*
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. dry mustard
- cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs. jumbo lump crabmeat, drained well, patted dry and picked over for cartilage and shell bits
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 tbsp. vegetable oil or more if needed
A little salt may brighten the flavors. Cook a bit of the crab mixture before forming the cakes to see if it needs salt.
When spooning mixture onto baking sheet, to shape the crab cakes, avoid making the cakes too fat. Use the spoon or your fingers to shape them, keeping in mind that they will cook more evenly if they have a flatter, patty shape.
**Miniature crab cakes are great cocktail party fare. The cooking time is just slightly less for little crab cakes.
*As with all dishes involving jalapenos, touch your tongue to a bit of the pepper before you add it. jalapenos can be incredibly bland or incredibly hot, even if they come from the same bin at the market. It's best to test the heat and judge the amount accordingly.