Mom's Chicken Enchiladas
She served these with Mexican Spoon Bread (recipe I will also post), refried beans, hominy and her homemade salsa (which I will also post :p).
This recipe is a little time consuming, but it makes a pretty good sized meal, typically with leftovers, so when I have a craving later in the week for Mexican all I have to do is whip out a plate and re-heat.
- cooked chicken breasts, diced well (about 1/2 inch cubes)
- family size can cream of chicken soup
- 1 large
- container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb
- shredded mexican blend cheese (or just cheddar works too)
- 2 8 oz can(s)
- diced green chilies
- 1 medium
- onion, diced small
- burrito sized flour tortillas
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh cilantro to garnish (my addition)
Make sure everything is well incorporated.
In the bottom of the baking dish, put a few spoonfuls of the reserved mix in the bottom and spread around, it helps keep the enchiladas from getting hard on the bottom.
Place in baking dish, seam down, as close together as possible. Fitting them in tight helps prevent them from coming apart while baking.
Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes and let set 10-15 minutes before serving. It is easier to get out of the baking dish if they have time to set.