Enchiladas Suizas con Pollo (Swiss Chicken Enchiladas)
(Photos by me)
- large stewing chicken, or 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (12 oz.)
- block swiss cheese, thinly slice 4 oz. shred rest (8 oz.)
- 1 (16 oz.)
- cont. sour cream, do not sub light, divided
- (14 1/2 oz.) can del monte original stewed tomatoes, chopped up with juice
- "taco-sized" flour tortillas (not the big burrito-sized)
- vegetable oil, for soft-frying
Soft-fry tortillas in a little oil, adding more as needed, set aside. I brush my flat griddle pan with a little oil and fry each side of tortillas, one at a time, til they just start to poof. About 5-10 seconds per side. Brush on more oil as needed, about every other one.)In pie dish, pour chopped tomatoes with juice. (Break up stewed tomatoes.)In 13x9 pan, sprayed, pour a little tomato juice to lightly coat bottom of pan. Dip each tortilla in chopped tomatoes, lightly coating with juice, fill with chicken mixture, roll up, place each seam-side down into pan. (Last 3 will have to go along side the 13" side of pan.) Pour remaining tomatoes down over middle/center of filled, rolled tortillas. Top each with a slice of swiss cheese. This goes easily if you get a "production line" all set up. Bake, uncovered, in 350° oven for 20 minutes. Top each with a dollop of sour cream, and bake 5 minutes longer.
*Can sub: Mexican-Style Tomatoes and can add 1 (3 oz) can chopped green chilies, drained, to chicken mixture if desired. But my hubby and I prefer them just as they are!
Note: 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts will yield 8-10 filled enchiladas using taco-sized flour tortillas. Just stew them for about 20 minutes or til done.