Chicken Braised in White Wine
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 8 slice
- uncooked bacon, thinly sliced
- chicken pieces--your choice
- 1-1/2 tsp
- salt (divided)
- 1 tsp
- coarsely ground black pepper (divided)
- red or yellow potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- whole small onions or 2 medium onions cut into 1-in pieces
- 8 oz
- mushrooms whole or chopped
- garlic cloves, sliced
- celery stalk, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-1/4 c
- chicken stock (divided)
- 2 c
- dry white wine such as chardonnay
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh thyme leaves or a pinch of dried
- 2 Tbsp
1Cook bacon until crisp. Drain. Reserve drippings .
2Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Cook chicken 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
3Remove chicken from pan. Set aside. Add 2 Tablespoons reserved drippings to pan and add potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms and garlic and celery to pan and cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4Add 2 cups of chicken stock, wine, thyme and reserved crumbled bacon to pan. Return chicken to pan. Cover and simmer 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. This can be roasted in oven at 350 degrees if desired.
5Meanwhile, whisk together flour and remaining 1/4 cup stock in small mixing bowl. Remove pan from heat, remove lid, set chicken aside, return pan with vegetables to stovetop. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in flour mixture, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Simmer 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened.
6Serve chicken with sauce and vegetables.