Uncle D’s Chili
- 32 oz. ground beef
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed, 16 oz
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. hungarian paprika
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce, 32 oz.
- 1 cup chipotle barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese sauce recipe follows
- 1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup flour
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne
Sea salt and black pepper
Heat milk in large pan over medium heat til you see bubbles forming on top. Meanwhile, melt butter in another pan and stir in flour to make a roux. Add warm milk, whisking constantly and continue cooking til mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Add cheese, whisking constantly to mix. Season with cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Strain through a sieve to remove any lumps before serving.
Makes 3 cups.