Slow Cooker Shepherd's Pie
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 8 medium
- cut up skinned and boiled potatoes
- 1 stick
- butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1/2-3/4 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- salt (or preferred salt seasoning)
- 1 tsp
- 2 lb
- ground beef (85-90 % lean)
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- TWO 10 1/2 oz
- cans of french onion soups
- 16 oz
- package frozen vegetable mix, thawed
- 16 oz
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pt
- sour cream (topping-optional)
1. Skin 10 medium size potatoes
2. Cut Potatoes into large squares and place in boiling salted water.
3. Bring water to simmer and simmer potatoes for about 20-25 minutes.
4. Strain potatoes and mash them using mixer or masher. NOTE: make sure potato's are really drained of waters.
5. Add 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper (see ingredients)
6. Add Milk a little at a time and stir until preferred consistency..may add more milk, if needed. NOTE: Make sure the consistency of mashed potato's are not too creamy. Make them medium creamy, little more on drier side (potato's can dissipate or become too soggy while later cooking in crock pot).
7. Set Mashed Potatoes to the side for later use
8. Cook Beef in a large skillet over medium to high heat for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir ground beef as it cooks in order to make it crumbly.
9. Drain cooked ground beef, then add flour to beef and stir together on medium heat for only 30 seconds. Do not burn flour.
10. Add the two cans of French Onion soups to beef mixture stirring constantly on medium heat for about 3 more minutes or until slightly thickened.
11. Stir in Vegetable mix.
12. Lightly grease a 5 1/2 - 6 quart slow cooker, and spoon the beef mixture into it.
13. Add the (prepared) mashed potatoes by spooning it over top of the beef mixture.
14. Add the shredded cheese on top of mashed potatoes (I always lots of cheese, since I love cheeses..lol!)
15. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 4 hours. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
16. Optional: I love to add Sour Cream on top of mine!