Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3 lbs flank steak, cleaned and trimmed
- 8 t olive oil
- 3 mild chili peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, cut in two pieces
- 2 cups celery cut in one inch pieces
- 2 large onions chopped coarsley
- 1 large onion, peeled, cut off ends but leave onion whole
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 4 large tomatoes, ripe, peeled seeded and chopped
- 1 cup small green peas
- 3 cloves of garlic mashed and minced
- 1/2 cup pimiento, drained and chopped
- 2 t tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1 t cilantro chopped fine
- 1 t cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- enough water to cover the meat
1In a large Dutch oven, add 3 Tablespoons of the oil, and heat.
Into the hot pot place meat. Sear to brown completely on all sides.Add 1/2 chopped onion
Cover the meat with water.Enogh water to just cover the meat.
Add the bay leaves, carrot, ½ of the peeled whole onion, and the celery. Bring to a rolling boil.
Simmer, covered tightly for 1½ to 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
Remove from heat and cool, keeping covered tightly, in the liquid.
Remove the beef from the Dutch oven when cooled, reserve the stock.
2Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan.
Cook the other ½ of the chopped onion until translucent.
Add the cilantro, garlic, peas and bell pepper and simmer while stirring slowly for 7 minutes.
Add the pimiento, chilies, tomatoes, and tomato paste and 2 full cups of the meat stock.
Add dry powdered/ground ingredients.
Stir mixture for 2 minutes, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Uncover and increase heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce begins to thicken.
Cut beef, across the grain, in 3" wide pieces.
Remove bay leaves.
Shred beef just before serving.
Serve over white rice.
Pour sauce over beef mixture and rice.