My Midwestern "Cold Remedy" Pot Roast
(Terrible old photo by me, don't let it scare you off! LOL!)
- 3 1/2-4 lb
- chuck roast, can sub arm or blade roast
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil, more if needed for searing
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- coarse ground pepper
- 1/3 c
- prepared horseradish, not the creamy kind, the real deal
- 1/4-1/3 c
- spicy brown mustard to coat, i use gulden's
- 1 (32 oz.)
- box/cont. beef broth
- large onion cut into eighths, seperate pieces from wedges
- bag baby carrots, not baby "cut" carrots, be careful-- they are trying to fool us!
- red or yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 4 Tbsp
Add carrots and potatoes, recover, and bake 1 hour longer basting vegetables with the broth every 15-20 minutes. Place meat and vegetables onto large serving platter. Serve with broth, warm, crusty french bread and butter, or *gravy if desired.
*For gravy: Mix 3-4 Tbl. cornstarch with 3-4 Tbl. cold water. Stir into simmering broth, cook and stir for about a minute or so. Will thicken immediately. Taste for saltiness. Add more salt and/or pepper to taste.