Corned Beef & Cabbage
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4-pound corned beef brisket - 'silverside' if you can get it; many butchers are familiar with the term and can prepare your cut of brisket in this special way. but, do allow them several days to prepare it properly.
- 3 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 6 to 8 small onions, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon powdered english mustard
- 1 large spring of fresh thyme and several parsley stalks tied together
- 1 cabbage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pt whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- whip cream until it stand in peaks. fold in horseradish.
1. Put the corned beef into a large pot with the carrots, onions, mustard powder and herbs.
22. Cover with cold water; bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for 1 hour. From time to time, skim fat from top as it rises.
33. Discard the outer leaves of the cabbage and cut into quarters, Add to the pot. * Cook for another one to two hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
44. Serve the corned beef cut into slices and surrounded by the vegetables. Serve with a generous amount of potatoes, boiled in their jackets and freshly made mustard. (We use Colman's which is readily available). In addition to the English mustard we also like the following horseradish sauce: