CHEAP BASTID'S SWISS STEAK (tweaked by BLONDIE)
It is served OVER mashed potatoes...how could it go wrong? ;)
- 2 lb
- top round or sirloin steak (l buy tenderized cube steak)
- 2 c
- all purpose flour, s&p generously
- 1/2 c
- oil of choice (l use evoo or canola)
- 1 medium
- yellow sweet onion, diced
- 2 stalk(s)
- celery (or how much cook likes), thinly sliced
- fresh jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced, *optional* (l leave the seeds and membranes in)
- bell pepper
- 1 can(s)
- 28oz whole, sliced, or petite tomatoes
- 12 oz
- snappy tom or spicy v8
- large potato per person
- 1 c
- or more warm milk
- 1 Tbsp
- real butter per potato~yum!
- salt and pepper to taste
Don't worry about the meat being done at this point It's going back in the skillet with the sauce later.
This will be served over the mashed potatoes...recipe to follow.
Peel and slice potatoes 1" thick. Put in large sauce pan or dutch oven. Cover with cold tap water. Put lid on. Bring to a boil on med-hi heat. Lower to low or simmer~allow potatoes to cook in water that is barely boiling so potatoes don't get mushy.
Warm plates in the oven on 150-170* about 4-5 minutes.
This is a nice touch and it keeps the food warm longer.
Brag to everyone who wasn't there, about how good it was!