This custard always makes me think of my mother. I can't remember a time where her coffee pot was on. Many a time we had to turn around on while starting out on a trip to make sure she had turned the pot off.
- 1 c
- raw organic heavy cream
- 1/2 c
- raw organic whole milk
- 2 Tbsp
- instant espresso powder
- ex large fresh organic eggs yolks
- ex large fresh organic egg
- 1/4 c
- bakers sugar
- vanilla bean or 1 tsp. of pure tahitian vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 oz
- shaved dark belgium chocolate
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted raw organic butter, melted
- cheese cloth
Split the vanilla bean down the middle and scrap the seeds out.
Strain the cream mixture through the cheese cloth while hot and return to pan, set it on the same burner to help keep it hot.
Pour slowly a little of the hot milk mixture, while quickly stirring, the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
Slowly pour the egg mixture into the milk mixture constantly stirring.
Or I make a Meringue..and top the custard with the meringue and use my little blow torch to make the meringue a golden brown. Then I add the shaved chocolate