German Chocolate Pie
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 oz. package german chocolate
- 4 tablespoon margarine, 1/2 stick - can substitute butter.
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 unbaked deep dish pie shell
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/3 cup unsweetened, flaked coconut
1In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate and butter or margarine, stirring to mix well.
Remove from heat and blend in the evaporated milk. Set aside.
2In a large bowl, combine the sugar, corn starch, and salt. Stir in eggs and vanilla until well blended.
3Gradually, stir in chocolate mixture. Pour into pie crust.
4Combine the pecans and coconut and sprinkle over the top.
5Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until puffed and browned. Check pie after 30 minutes of baking. If coconut is very browned, cover with foil for the remaining baking time.
6Cool for about 30 minutes before serving.
Refrigerate any leftovers and serve either reheated or cold.