Windbeutel (Grandmas German Cream Puffs)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 oz. cream cheese (softened at room temp)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. almond, vanilla, or orangeextract ( you can use your favorite or a combination of them to make several different flavors)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 c milk
- 2 eggs yolks and 2 egg whites (seperated)
- 2 and 3/4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, lemon, banana or any other extract you prefer
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream if desired
- pwdered sugar, sugar or cinnamon sugar
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
VANILLA CREAM FILLING
Vanilla cream filling: Mix egg yolks with the sugar and starch using some of the reserved milk to make a nice and smooth consistency.
In a saucpan bring the remaining milk to a boil, being careful not to scorch or burn the milk, then turn heat down to low.
While whisking vigorously stir the egg yolk mixture into the heated milk. Let this come to a puff and then take it from te heat immedietly. Continue to mix this for 40 sec to a minute.
Now is the time to add your extract to this. For a nice light texture you can either stir this while it is still hot into the stiffened egg whites or you can fold whipped cream into the cooled cream mixture.
Serve with a scoop of ice cream if desired : )