Featured Pinch Tips Video
- pieces ripe banana or plantain, about 3" long
- strips dried jackfruit (dried mango, dried pineapple or dried lychee can be substituted or canned)
- lumpia wrappers or spring roll wrappers
- 1 c
- brown sugar or piloncillo
- cooking oil for high heat frying
1Separate the spring roll wrappers, arrange your prep plates in correct order: sliced banana/plantain, sugar, jackfruit or sub.
2Lay down the lumpia or spring rollwrapper, dip the banana in sugar and place on one end of the wrapper; lay a slice of jackfruit (or sub) on top.
3Heat up the oil in medium heat and fry the turon with the sealed end side down first (to keep it sealed). Cook until slightly browned and flip.
4Fry the other side, and once slightly browned, sprinkle sugar (about 1 tablespoon per roll) onto the oil to caramelize and glaze the fried roll. Watch carefully to avoid burning!
5Fry until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up the excess oil. Serve hot.