|Serves:||about 5 dozen|
|1 1/2 c||softened butter|
get recipes @ goboldwithbutter.com
|2 c||white sugar|
|1 tsp||almond extract (vanilla is what the original recipe called for)|
|5 c||all purpose flour|
|2 tsp||baking powder|
|4 c||confectioners sugar|
|5 Tbsp||almond milk *|
|i use almond milk in almost all my cooking because we have lactose intolerant children, regular milk is fine|
|1 tsp||almond or vanilla extract|
|few drops||food coloring (optional)|
|yellow, brown and green m&m's|
|yellow and green nerds|
|same color candy sprinkles|
|cake decorating gels in black, red, orange, green, yellow, blue and purple|
|shamrock shaped sprinkles|
My roommate's 3 year old is completely obsessed with cookies, so for fun we made some "Lucky" cookies in preparation for St. Patrick's Day. She had so much fun being able to help decorate, she tried to get my 1 year old involved as well, VERY messy but good times.
The cookie recipe here is my favorite sugar cookie recipe, it makes great cut out or drop cookies and they freeze really well.
1. In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time then add almond/vanilla extract.
2. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt until completely combined.
3. Cover and chill at least one hour, I like to let it chill overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set out ungreased cookie sheets.
5. Roll dough out onto a floured surface so it is about 1/4 inch thick and cut your shapes out.
6. Lay cut dough onto your cookie sheets about 1-2 inches apart and bake 6-8 minutes.
7. Allow to cool about 3-5 minutes before moving to cooling racks to cool completely before decorating.
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream confectioners sugar and shortening until it is smooth.
2. Beat in the milk 1 Tbsp at a time followed by the almond/vanilla extract.
3. Continue beating until it is smooth and stiff, about 5-7 minutes. If it is too thin add more confectioners sugar.
4. If desired add food coloring and beat until color is combined.
1. Completely spread a thin layer of icing over cookie.
2. Place your candies before using the decorator gel, it is just MUCH easier that way!
3. Make shamrocks by placing 3 green m&m's in a triangle and then tracing around them and place a "stem" with green decorating gel.
4. Pot o' gold is easy and almost realistic with yellow nerds and black decorator gel; place the nerds and then draw a pot under it. Even more fun is drawing a rainbow to it!