Cherry oatmeal bars from The Fat Witch Bakery
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 1/2 sticks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cherries, packed
- 1/3 cup nuts, such as cashews, coarsely chopped, optional
Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool for five minutes. Stir in the vanilla and mix well.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is Golden Brown and the edges are starting to pull away from the sides of the pan.
Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for one hour. Cut just before serving. Makes 12 to 16 bars.