TJ's Coconut Chocolate Cake
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 box
- trader joe's(baker josef's) chocolate cake mix (substitute: your favorite chocolate cake mix/recipe)
- 1 1/3 c
- 1/2 c
- virgin coconut oil, warmed slightly to liquid state* (recommend: trader joe's organic)
- 3 large
- 1- 13oz jar(s)
- trader joe's cocoa almond spread, 1/3 cup reserved for frosting (substitute: nutella)
- optional: powdered sugar**
- 8 oz
- cream cheese, softened, room temp
- 1/2 c
- virgin coconut oil, room temp(soft white solid state)
- 1/3 c
- trader joe's cocoa almond spread
- 1 tsp
- 4 c
- powdered sugar
- sweetened coconut flakes
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2- 9" round cake pans.
2Mix together cake mix, water, coconut oil, eggs until thoroughly combined. Divide evenly into the 2 cake pans.
3Bake for approx. 40 minutes or until tester comes out clean.*** Let cool.
4For frosting: Beat together cream cheese, coconut oil, 1/3 c. cocoa almond spread, & vanilla until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar. Beat until fluffy.
5Spread the remaining cocoa almond spread in jar onto first layer.
6Lay second cake on top(top side down) and frost. Sprinkle coconut on top. Enjoy!
7*The measurements for the water, oil, & eggs is according to the Trader Joe's instructions. If you use another brand cake mix, use the ingredients/measurements according to the box. Substitute coconut oil equally for the oil or butter called for on the box instructions.
8**I like the spread plain, however, it is not that sweet. Taste it. If sweeter filling is desired, beat in some powdered sugar to the spread to your tastes.
9***You may make this cake in a 9x13 pan or make cupcakes. Make sure to use baking instructions on the box mix you choose to use.
10Note: Coconut oil is a solid(white) at room temp and cooler. At temps above 76 degrees it becomes a clear oil. Store on counter at room temp for a soft butter-like consistency. Storing in fridge makes it hard(wax-like consistency). It very quickly can be warmed to an oil(10-15 seconds in microwave or if kept by oven).