Texas Fudge Cake
|remember to use a good, high quality cocoa for the best results.|
Pinched by Kathy_Walsh, and 346 more.
- Grocery List
Directions1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup sour cream or buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extractIcing
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup milk
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
¾ cup finely chopped nuts of your choice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract1. Preheat the oven to 350?F. Butter an 11-by-15-inch pan. (I used a 9 x 13.)
2. Put the cocoa in a medium saucepan and gradually stir in the water. Bring to a boil, add the butter and let melt. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together onto a piece of waxed paper. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the cocoa mixture. Add the eggs, sour cream or buttermilk, and vanilla to the cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cake is firm to the touch in the center.
5. While the cake is baking, make the icing: In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, milk and cocoa. Bring to a boil and stir to melt the butter. Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth. Stir in the nuts and vanilla.
6. Spread the icing over the hot cake (still in the pan). Let cool before cutting.