STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CAKE
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 2 cups bisquick or jiffy mix
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon dry strawberry jello (keep the rest of the 3 oz. box for later)
- 3 cups fresh or frozen strawberries sliced
- 1 cup water
- the rest of 3oz. strawberry jello
- 1/2 cup sugar
NOTE: I add about 3 minutes more than the cake box recommends to the bake time when adding extra wet ingredients to a cake mix.
Meanwhile in a saucepan on medium, heat the ingredients in the topping until bubbly. When cake is cool, poke holes all over the top with a straw or the end of a wooden spoon handle. Pour strawberry mixture evenly over the cake so the topping juice seeps in the holes. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving. Add cool whip evenly on top OR just put a dollop on a piece when served.