This my birthday cake that I baked. This cake was inspired by JAP's Kitchenchatter, Pat Duran's Chocolate Layer Cake and now Waalaahh, it's a Shug's" bundt cake style creation! You will love this cake! It is magnificent! This is a Rich Chocolate Bundt Cake w/Cake Donuts around it!! Yes, mini bundt cake shaped donuts!! Just enticing and deliciously beautiful !! I love it!
1. Chocolate Layer Cake: Preheat oven to 350^. Grease one 12 cup bundt pan with butter/oil spray and flour. Dust pans lightly and tap out any excess.
2. Into a small bowl, sift the cocoa 2 times. In a sauce pan melt butter, add cocoa and stir to combine. Add freshly brewed hot coffee and stir. Boil 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. set aside.
4. In a measuring cup, add buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla, stir gently. Add to the flour mixture and slowly mix on low speed- do not over mix. Gradually add the hot coffee mixture until fully combined. Add vegetable oil. Pour batter into the prepared pans. Bake about 40-45 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick. Let cool in pans on wire rack for 30 minutes; then invert cakes to wire rack to cool completely.
6. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, except hot coffee mixture. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and slowly mix on low speed- do not over mix. Gradually add the hot coffee and mix until fully combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans. Bake about 35 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick.Let cool in pans on wire rack for 30 minutes; then invert cakes to wire rack to cool completely.
7. Cherry Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting: Melt vanilla frosting in microwave at 20 second intervals,until smooth and satiny. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Mix vanilla frosting and cream cheese and beat until fluffy on medium speed of mixer. Reduce speed to low and add the powdered sugar, a little at a time and mix until smooth and combined. Add Duncan Hines frosting creations mix, cherry vanilla flavor and mix until well combined. Repeat until you get the color you want.
8. Baked Chocolate Cake Doughnuts: Preheat oven to 425^ Spray mini BUNDT pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside. Melt chocolate and butter in microwave at 30 second intervals until smooth and satiny, set aside to cool.
9. Into a large bowl sift together dry ingredients, whisking to combine. In a small bowl whisk the buttermilk, egg. Add this to the flour mixture and whisk to just combine. Add the cooled chocolate and whisk to combine.
10. Place the batter into a large piping bag with a small coupler, no tip required. Pipe batter into doughnut pan. Tap pan lightly on counter. Bake until the tops spring back when touched about, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing, must do this step. Remove from pan and place on rack to cool. Makes 24 doughnuts. Finish doughnuts with glaze and sprinkles.
11. Doughnut Glaze: Warm milk and vanilla frosting in saucepan over low heat. Add powdered sugar and whisk slowly until well combined. Remove from heat. Add Duncan Hines frosting creations mix and combine well until of desired color. Dip doughnuts, in glaze and set on a rack over a baking sheet, to catch drips. Decorate with sprinkles immediately. Repeat with remaining doughnuts. Let set 5 minutes before using.
12.ASSEMBLING AND DECORATING CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE: Using a pastry brush, brush all crumbs from cakes. Slice bundt cake in half with a cake slicer. Set a cake layer on a serving platter. Evenly spread 1/3 of the frosting over cake to the edge. Top with second cake layer. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Starting at the base of the cake, gently press doughnut(unglazed side) on the cake, Continue all the way around the cake and repeat with the second layer. Garnish with 1 to 3 doughnuts on the top of the cake- unglazed sides in.