Mom’s Carrot Cake
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (12 oz.) can crushed pineapple - undrained
- 2½ cups shredded carrots (mom grated carrots with a box grater, but you could use a food processor)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup nuts (we had pecan trees so that’s what mom used; but walnuts would be good, too.)
- 2½ (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese softened
- ¾ cup real butter
- 1½ tsps. pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease and flour two 9: cake pans.
2Mix mayonnaise with sugar and eggs till all is well mixed and smooth. Add pineapple and carrots and stir till combined.
3Add dry ingredients and nuts. Stir gently till mixed. no beating or heavy mixing here...just get everything combined.
4Bake 350º F for 30 -35 minutes. Remove from oven and set on wire racks to cool for five minutes before removing from pans. Remove from pans and continue to cool until no longer warm.
5Gently place on cake plate and frost with cream cheese frosting.
6Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting:
With mixer, cream together cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract. Gradually, 1 cup at a time, beat in the confectioners' sugar until spreading consistency.
Sometimes I've used a little less than the 6 cups - sometimes more, but that's it.