incredible fruitcake. Found the recipe online and made it cause it used tropical fruit. This is insanely delicious. Cake will not last till Christmas. Do plan on putting a marzipan icing on top after finished a few weeks of basting cake with rum.
11. Cut up any large pieces of dried fruit, they should all be no larger than one inch cubes. Put all the dried fruit (not apple or lemon) in a large bowl, add half the rum or other spirit, cover with a clean cloth and leave overnight.
22. Grease then line an 8in cake tin (pan) with a double layer of greaseproof (wax) paper, grease the paper. Preheat oven to 150 deg C (300 deg F).
33. Mix the lemon rind and juice with the grated apple then stir it and the chopped almonds into the dried fruit mixture. Sieve (strain) the flour and spices together.
44. Cream the butter, brown sugar and molasses together - it's easiest to do this with an electric mixer until relatively lighter in colour and fluffier.
55. Gradually beat in the eggs then fold in the sieved flour and spices. Again do this gradually, a bit at a time.
66. Stir the dried fruit, nuts and apple into the cake mixture.
77. Transfer the mixture to the prepared cake tin (pan) and bake for about 2 hours 30 minutes. A skewer or fine bladed knife should come out clean when it is done. If the top of the cake is browning too fast, cover it with foil for the last 15 to 20 minutes. When it's cooked, leave to cool in the cake tin.
88. When it's cold, make holes in the cake with a skewer or fine bladed knife and use the remaining rum to pour into the cake.
99. Wrap it in greaseproof paper then store in an airtight container. In a cool, dry place, it should keep for at least 6 weeks.
1010. You can cover with marzipan and then icing in the traditional way.
The baking time says about 2 1/2 hours in the original recipe. Mine was done in 2 hours and that was a convection oven. Good thing I checked when I did as it had already was starting to overcook around the edges. So just be careful of the time is the only thing.