French Apple Cake
5 star rating!
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1/2 lemon
- 6 apples
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 8 ounces butter
- 4 ounces philadelphia cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) tub philadelphia honey nut flavor cream cheese spread (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To prepare the caramel, heat 3/4 cup granulated sugar with 4 tsp. water. When the sugar becomes light brown, add the juice of 1/2 lemon and remove from heat.
3. Coat the bottom and sides of a springform pan with the caramel.
4. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples and arrange in an attractive circular overlapping pattern on the caramel.
5. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar. Add the flour, butter, PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese (4 oz.) and continue beating until you have a creamy batter.
6. Pour over apples and caramel and bake for 35 minutes. Let cool slightly prior to turning over onto a decorative cake plate.
Optional: While cake is baking, beat PHILADELPHIA Honey Nut Flavor Cream Cheese until fluffy. Separately, beat whipping cream until fluffy and then add 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Gently fold the whipped PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese into the whipped cream and chill well using the freezer, if necessary. Top the warm cake slices with a spoonful of PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese/whipped cream mixture and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories: 722 | Total Fat: 47g | Cholesterol: 222mg