CHOCOLATE EXPLOSION CAKE
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 package german chocolate cake mix
- 10 bite-size coconut candy bars, chopped, such as almond joy
- one 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick butter), at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- chocolate pecan glaze
Mix the coconut and nuts and spread them evenly in the pan. Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box, but use 4 eggs instead of 3...and use MILK in place of water, and add 1 tsp. vanilla. Stir in the chopped candy bars. Pour the batter over the coconut and nuts. Combine the cream cheese, butter and sugar. Randomly drop tablespoons of this mixture on top of the batter; do not spread them.
Bake until the sides of the cake pull away from the pan, 40 to 50 minutes. Pour the warm Chocolate Pecan Glaze over the cake. Slice and enjoy.
Chocolate Pecan Glaze:
1/2 cup (1 stick butter)
1/4 cup milk (more if a thinner consistency is desired)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the butter, milk, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Once the butter is melted, remove from the heat. Add the sugar and stir until smooth. Stir in the pecans.