Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cake
- 1 box betty crocker® supermoist® white cake mix
- 1 box (4-serving size) strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 pint (2 cups) medium-large strawberries (18 to 20 strawberries)
- 1/2 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening or vegetable oil
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1 container (1 lb) betty crocker® rich & creamy milk chocolate frosting
Bake as directed on box for 9-inch round cake pans. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, gently rinse strawberries and dry on paper towels (berries must be completely dry). Line cookie sheet with waxed paper. In 1-quart saucepan, melt vanilla baking chips and shortening over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
Dip lower half of each strawberry into vanilla chip mixture; allow excess to drip back into saucepan.
Split each cake horizontally into 2 layers. On serving plate, place top of 1 layer, cut side up; spread with 1/3 cup of the jam. Add bottom half of layer, cut side down; spread with 1/3 cup jam. Add top of second layer, cut side up; spread with remaining 1/3 cup jam. Add bottom of remaining layer. Frost side and top of cake with frosting. Arrange dipped strawberries around top of cake. Store in refrigerator.