Apple Skillet Cake
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 t. baking powder and ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t. each, salt and ground cloves
- 3 medium baking apples, cored,sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar
- 1/3 cup butter, margarine or bacon drippings
- 3/4 cup cold coffee or milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
1Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and cloves in a medium bowl. Set aside
2Toss apples with lemon juice in a separate medium bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Melt butter in a 9 or 10" oven proof skillet. Add coffee and egg to flour mixture, mixing well.
3Pour batter over melted butter; do not mix. Stir apple mixture and arrange over batter. Bake in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes or until apples are tender and cake is puffed and set. Let stand 20 minutes. Cake will sink slightly. Serve warm. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Source: Marlboro Country Cookbook