Alsatian Breakfast Sausage Casserole
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 12 oz. skinless link breakfast sausage, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp. corase grain or dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh sage or 1/2 tsp. dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- black pepper
- 4 slices rye bread, cut into 1 inch pieces, 1 oz. each
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups peeled sweet apple, such as honeycrisp, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded gruyere, divided, 8 oz
1Preheat oven to 375. Coat a 7 x 11 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
2Brown sausage in saute pan over medium high heat til almost fully cooked, 5 minutes. Add onion and saute til softened, 3 minutes. Transfer sausage mixture to paper towel lined plate.
3Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, sage and salt. season with pepper.
4Arrange bread in bottom of prepared baking dish. Top bread with apple and 1 1/2 cups cheese, then add sausage mixture. Pour egg mixture over sausage, taking care it doesn't spill over, then top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
5Bake casserole til cheese is browned and eggs are set in the center and cooked through, about 45 minutes or to 160 degrees. Serves 8