Piperade and Poached Eggs
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise into rings
- 1 green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise into rings
- 4 peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped ripe juicy tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or piment d’ espelette
- 4 large or extra large eggs
1In skillet over medium heat, warm olive oil. Add onion and saute til translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add red and green bell peppers and saute til they begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Cover and cook til vegetables are very soft and limp, 3 to 4 minutes more.
2Stir in tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Recover, reduce heat to low and cook til mixture thickens, about 20 minutes. Keep mixture warm. The piperade can be made up to 2 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat gently just before serving.
3Poach the eggs.
To serve, divide piperade among warmed individual bowls and top each serving with a poached egg. Serves 4