Joanna's Vegetarian Cornbread Casserole
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- bag mornigstar brand crumbles (freezer section by meatless burgers and such) it is a vegetable meat substitute
- 1 tsp
- emeril's essesence seasoning
- 1 small
- onion, chopped
- 1/3 c
- baby bella mushrooms (1/3 cup after chopping)
- 1/3 c
- broccoli, chopped (i use pre-cut flowerettes in a bag)
- 1/4 c
- bell pepper, orange, yellow or red, chopped
- 1 1/2 c
- cornmeal mix (1 box jiffy cornbread mix)
- eggs, beaten
- 1 can(s)
- (8 oz) cream style corn (or 1/2 of a 15 oz. can)
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- 1 c
- mexican 4 cheese blend, shredded (kraft)
- 1/2 c
- milk (whole vitamin d milk)
- 1 Tbsp
1Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Grease a 9x13 baking dish or for a thicker casserole use a 2 quart high side casserole dish.
2Cook broccoli in the microwave in 1 tbsp. of water, cover and cook for 2 minutes and 45 sec. Remove from microwave, uncover, rinse quickly with cold water to stop the cooking process and allow to drain well.
3Cook Crumbles in the microwave for 2 minutes, stir sprinkle with 1 tsp. of Emeril's Essence seasoning and cook for another 2 minutes or until heated through. Set aside.
4Brown onions and mushrooms in 1 Tbsp butter. Add the broccoli pieces and toss to mix all together. Remove from heat and set aside.
5Mix cornbread mix, sour cream, eggs, milk, cream style corn and 1/4 bell pepper together in a bowl. Pour half of the mix in to the 9x13 baking dish or 2 quart casserole dish.
6Top the cornbread with the morningstar crumbles, onion, mushroom and broccoli mix.
7Cover the crumbles with the cheese and top with the remaining cornbread mix.
8Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.