Sausage Crust Pie with Green Chilies
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- preheat oven to 375
- 9" pie dish or an 8 x 8 square pan
- medium sized bowl to whisk eggs
- tube of sausage i used jimmy deans hot sausage, less grease
- eggs whisked
- box thawed chopped spinach squeezed dry
- 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- cup of cubed cheese, i used havarti but sharp cheddar or pepper jack would taste great too!
- tsp salt
- tsp pepper
TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
1Use the sausage as a crust, press it into the pie dish up the sides try to keep it uniform in thickness.
2Whisk eggs add salt and pepper
3Squeeze spinach dry then place in the bottom of the pie pan
4Add green chilies spreading gently so to keep spinach in place
5Gently pour eggs over spinach/chilies mixture
6Gently place cheese around pie more towards the outside it tends to melt into the middle.
7Bake for 45 to 55 minutes depending on your oven I found it was easier to put on a sheet pan to move around.
8When the middle is just about set it is ready to take out of the oven, let it cool for 10 minutes before cutting. I use a serrated knife. The crust was right at the stage of very firm and held up well.
9Will make this again and photo the steps!
10Alternative ideas: Jalapenos pickled are usually the best about one whole or 10 sliced then diced, 1/3 cup of onion maybe saute it first, 9 eggs alone, 1/2 cup Canadian bacon or 1/2 crispy bacon use your imagination.