Savory Bread Pudding
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 12 to 16 slices dry country style bread or sandwich bread
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups whole milk
- 5 large or extra large eggs
- 1 tsp. sea or kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. gruyere cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped herbs, such as flat leaf parsley, chives, and tarragon
- 1/4 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 3 quart soufflé dish.
2Put bread slices in shallow bowl and pour in 2 cups of the milk. Let the bread soak up the liquid, 5 to 10 minutes. If the bread is very dry, it will take longer and may require up to 1/2 cup more milk. Remove bread, squeeze out any excess milk with your hands and put bread in a clean bowl. Discard the milk.
3In another bowl, mix eggs, salt, pepper and the remaining 1/2 cup milk and whisk to blend. Layer one third of the bread in the prepared dish. Top with one third of the Gruyere cheese and half the herbs. Repeat layers, reserving 1 Tbsp. of the herbs. Arrange last third of the bread on top and sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere cheese and the Romano cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over the top. Use a knife to push the bread away from the sides of dish, letting egg mixture run to the bottom.Dot the top of the bread pudding with the butter.
4Bake bread pudding til top is crusty and golden and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 60 minutes. Garnish with reserved herbs,scoop pudding onto warmed individual plates and serve at once. Serves 6 to 8