Apple Chestnut Stuffing
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- large onions, finely sliced
- 3 Tbsp
- butter (45 ml)
- 1/2 c
- pitted quartered prune (125 ml)
- 1/4 lb
- chestnuts, roasted, peeled and chopped (112 g)
- challah, broken into bite sized bits (1/2 small loaf, day old)
- garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1/4 c
- calvados (or brandy, 60 ml)
- 1 1/2 c
- chicken stock (250 to 375 ml)
- spartan apples, cored, peel on, diced
- 1 Tbsp
- freshly chopped thyme (15 ml)
- 1 Tbsp
- freshly chopped sage (15 ml)
- 1 tsp
- freshly chopped rosemary (5 ml)
- coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- butter, for casserole dish
1In a large skillet over high heat, melt butter until just golden brown.
2Add the onions and sauté on high, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes.
3Reduce heat to medium and sauté for a further 5 minutes until onions are very soft then add the sliced garlic and sauté 2 more minutes.
4Add Calvados and 1 cup chicken stock, cook covered, on medium heat, about 10 minutes.
5Add the apples and herbs and cook for a further 5 to 8 minutes or until apples are tender.
Cool to room temperature.
6Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and butter a casserole dish.
7Combine the bread, chestnuts, prunes and apple mixture in a large bowl.
Season with salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper.
8If mixture has absorbed all the liquid, add the remaining 1/2 cup of stock.
9Transfer to the buttered casserole dish.
10Bake covered, until lightly golden on top and hot throughout, 30 to 40 minutes.